Despite what you might think, poblano peppers are very mild, but they can still spice up a weekday dinner! Use this recipe to make guests or your family think you are a boss in the kitchen…they don’t have to know how simple these Healthy Stuffed Poblano Peppers really are to make 😉
Ingredients (for two servings)
- 3-4 whole, large poblano peppers
- 5 oz 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 bag of frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 oz chopped yellow onion
- 4 oz plain tomato sauce
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (drained)
- 80 g corn kernels
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 28 g low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp verde salsa
- 3 tbsp veggie broth
- Seasoning blend: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, taco seasoning, paprika, cumin
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Wash your poblano peppers and cut in half to open them up. I like to place them with the widest, stem end flat down on my cutting board, and then cut straight down starting from the narrow end. Remove seeds and stem.
- On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, sprayed lightly with pam, place all your pepper halves open side facing up on your sheet. To ensure they don’t overlap, you may need two sheets. Place in the oven for 5-10 mins. You want them to soften a bit, but not so much so that they loose their shape, so keep an eye on them. Set aside.
- Next, prep your filling. Saute the onions in a pot sprayed with pam. Once soft, turn the heat down to medium, add in your broth, ground turkey, and chili powder. Cook thoroughly.
- After your meat is cooked, add in your frozen riced cauliflower (uncooked), canned tomatoes, lime juice, chopped cilantro, tomato sauce, corn kernels, salsa verde, and seasoning blend. Mix over medium heat until the riced cauliflower is warm.
- Next is the fun part. Take a spoon, start stuffing your poblano peppers. Some of the “deeper” peppers will need more filling than the “shallow” ones.
- Once stuffed, place in the oven for about 8-10 mins. Take them out, top with your cheese, then bake for another 2-3 minutes. Plate and enjoy!
Nutritional Information (per each serving):
- Calories: 300
- Macros: 27p/37c/5f