This is a super easy dish that requires minimal prep work! Tomatillos are most often found in salsa verde, but you might not recognize them in their raw form. They are a small green fruit covered in a husk. If you have never cooked with them before, check out this article, and keep reading to learn how to make my Crock Pot Chicken Tomatillo Stew recipe!
What you’ll need:
Ingredients per 2 servings:
- 12 oz raw tomatillos
- 3 oz chopped onion
- 8 oz fat free chicken breast
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 30 g fat free greek yogurt
- 40 g avacado
- 1 bag microwaveable riced cauliflower
- Fajita seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- First, unhusk your tomatillos, wash, and slice in half twice.
- Line your crock pot, and add the tomatillos, chicken breast, chopped onions, fajita seasoning, 2 tbsp of lime juice, and broth. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Times may vary depending on how many servings you are preparing. You will know everything if done when the chicken shreds easily with a fork, and the tomatillos have turned into a salsa-like texture. Mix everything when it is finished cooking and turn off the heat.
- Next, microwave you riced cauliflower according to bag instructions. When it is done, dump the contents of the bag into a bowl and mix it with fajita seasoning (to taste), chopped cilantro, and 1 tbsp of lime juice.
- Add your cilantro-lime cauliflower rice to the crock pot, and mix everything together to complete your stew. Top with greek yogurt, avocado, and additional cilantro, then enjoy!
Nutritional Information (per 1 serving, toppings included):
- Calories: 300 calories
- Macros: 8f/27c/34p